Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Feeling Sick, last wknd recap, this wknd advance

I am feeling the pains of the common or not so common but recurring cold.
I could blame Jill Tracy as she was very ill and perhaps it only took one hug. I had a wild wknd, that could be it.

I had barely been sleeping (as usual). I awoke very early Friday as we had to basically rebuild the Red Light District rehearsal set up at Monte Cristo for our Red Light District performance this past Friday. Abby and I left to get more equipment at our downtown space around 12:30 noon or so... It was hailing outside and we got over to the venue and found out that even though we already knew we were going to have to go to a third story with no elevator with tons of gear, that ALSO the regular entranceway was locked so we would have to brave the rains on a slippery staircase where water was flowing. It got crazier when there was this SPOUT that shot water out right in the line of where we needed to walk on the thin stairway... it was similar to crossing a waterfall! Once we made it to the top floor... none of us expected the half foot drop into water... everyone's feet were submerged and soaked far beyond ankles!. We spent a long time getting the venue up to speed for a live band. I believe we left there after 6pm or close to it!



The show went very well. People were quite polite and we were all quite delighted with the amazing turnout to the event!!! Legion, brought my mother and that was excellent! She even danced with me to a Portishead song earlier in the evening. Right after our performance and before I had left the stage, I heard someone yell, "Shok Attack". It turned out to be Vernon Lewis from Heroes/ Universal. He had no idea I was performing, but wanted to meet the drummer. He had found out about the event from a girl who was with him.


The Ball ended at 2:30 and I carried a slew of gear back to my apt via a few cars by 3:30am. Then I went with Jenz and Melissa T. to an afterparty at a friend's where I ate copious amounts of baklava and more food and was home and asleep by 7:30am.

9:30am is when my father called. It was afternoon in Philadelphia for him however too early in LA for a Saturday... especially having just gone to sleep after a long day of rain and moving equipment and performing... and absinthe! Since I do not have call waiting.. I told him I had to get off the phone for the cable internet people who would be calling at 10am. As soon as hung up with him.. RRRING, it was them calling from the front gate. Within moments of them coming in, I get a call from Universal, asking me if I can come in to work 8 hours.... so I did!


I was home by 8ish and got a call from my friend, Jenz. Since neither of us are in any romantic worlds, we decided to hang and went to The French Crepe Company at the Hollywood & Highland Mall.


I had the pleasure of demolishing the lovely BASTILE with Turkey!!!!
You should try this! I always enjoy it!




We then decided to go see Jill Tracy perform her cabaret act (Jill on piano with a violinist and drummer) at Boardners for Bar Sinister at Midnight. It was a good n long evening. I returned home after the club and worked on organizing some of my music for quite a few hours.

Sunday was the usual.... early morning rise (9/10am) to hit the local Farmers' Market on Selma & Ivar and meet with Heidi and our weekly hike with Pooch. This week it was RUNYON CANYON.




In the evening, I hit the Sushi spot, Fat Fish, where all plates are $2 after 9pm. Maxi joined me... then she went home and I went with Jenz to Malediction @ 10pm. Danced nearly the entire time (I have needed a good workout). Got a bite on the way home (2am) and that was Sunday.


Btw, here are two images of the fire dancers from Malediction.


Also there were the Wandering Marionettes in attendance. An amazing dance troupe!!! Check their site!


Monday, I decided to email my friend Johnette. I had been meaning to call her for so long to sing on this project I have with Mark Caro (Tech Itch) but somehow I never had.... so finally, I decided to email her. No more than 4 minutes later, she replied and instead of being in the desert, where she typically resides, she was up the street in Beachwood Canyon. After a few short emails and less than an hour later, we met for a quick lunch at Miceli's Restaurant @ 3:30pm.

We shared a big caesar salad, rolls, a few glasses of Castello Di Gabbiano and a side of spaghetti in olive oil. Somehow the day became evening and we had been there so long parties at tables had already been on the third rotation.

We then decided to leave and wander to our next location for MORE FOOD since now it was after dinner time. We wound up at The Velvet Margarita and split pomegranate margaritas, the complimentary chips, salsa, dip and she had the Ahi Tuna Ceviche while I destroyed the Salmon Quesadillas.


I was home by 10:30. It was a lovely 7 hour time where we covered a slew of ground for not having seen each other since last year when she helped me move some of my mother's belonging's into storage. Actually.... I saw her after that when she was the tour guide for the visit to Joshua Tree I took with my mother, Douglas McCarthy and his mother... and Miss Pooch-A-Rilla.

There is not much better than sharing conversation over great food!

This week is flying by and I am not feeling well.... I hope to be better by Saturday for our Red Light District performance @ Bordello for the Alice in Wonderland themed cabaret and burlesque event. Perhaps more friends will attend! There is more information on the invite here. I advise an early arrival as the last time we performed at Bordello, there was a line of 100 people, wrapped around the venue by 10:30 and many folks did not get to enter.

Stay tuned for videos by The Dandy Warhols, a message from Trent Reznor and some free music! Have a good evening and I hope you enjoyed LOST if you have a tv set!
Now to catch some ZZZZZZZZs

Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Clicky Web Analytics