Wednesday, January 14, 2009

VOTD: iband & NAMM show

Music can be inspired from anything and anywhere. I am not an iphone person, however the video at the bottom of this post features two iphones and a Nintendo DS. (not exactly, 2 turntables & a mica'fone)


With this being said, I depart in an hour with Alexander Burke (vibraphone, accordion & piano in Red Light District live band) and Yuval Shrem for NAMM 09. This is a convention, bringing the newest and coolest music gear and software to the table. Developers, companies, creators, distributors and artists, composers & producers will all be in attendance to display either their own products or learn about other products or simply meet n greet and grow the ole network.

Oh... and there are parties and events... but that is not the focus right now... in fact, I am still quite under the weather.... then again Los Angeles has been having some very fine and extraordinary weather lately.

This is Broadway Big Band. It is an amazingly accurate sample set of instruments you would expect from a big band. The same way, people have had strings on their keyboards for years, this re-creates the sounds of trombone, clarinet, unbelievable drums and more. I would go into more depth about this. But the basics are that Yuval has the most advanced sample system available via an unreleased version of the HALION sampler and he spent a year in New York City, recording top session musicians and the result is a huge library of variations of live instruments. You have to view the page to see & hear the demos.


I am excited to finally meet folks such as Jean-Marie Cannie of Image-Line, who is the main fellow responsible for FL Studio, which has been an invaluable element in my studio for the past decade. I am thankful for companies who believe in my work so much that they endorse me, so I look forward to meeting with him in person as opposed to Skype and email. Let's see if I get the drink he promised ;)

There are other companies I will see and some who already endorse me. Sadly, George Yhong of TruePianos will not be present, however Vic Firth drum sticks, Taye drums, Pearl Drums, Evans and Aquarian shall all be present. When Ableton initially gave me their beta software called "Live" about eight years ago, I thought it was a cute and novel way to create music, but not for me, other than hashing ideas. I met with them, at NAMM 2001 at their tiny booth and they asked if I wanted to be endorsed as they liked my music. I had to say no since I did not really use it. Well, nearly ten years later, it is a huge center on certain projects including the forth coming album Mark Caro (Tech Itch) and I are completing. See www.myspace.com/techitchshok

ok... I have not much time left... Have a good week... I am hoping to be able to find some WIFI or get my old phone cracked and switched over and onto metropcs so I actually have a mobile phone again ... and with internet again.

If you will be at NAMM and would like to meet, email me directly [ fda at newgrounds dot com ]

Here is the video I mentioned at the beginning of this mess ;)

iBand


Have a great week!

Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Clicky Web Analytics