Saturday, January 31, 2009

Coachella line up and first thoughts

Click flyer to enlarge
Well... the preliminary list has arrived as of yesterday and I am not overly keen on what I see. Having McCartney on board as the first night headliner is an odd choice, however if you have been keeping up with his recent work, you will know his Fireman project is a collaboration with Youth from Killing Joke and this is certainly a more forward thinking outlet than previous efforts.

download THE FIREMAN - Nothing Too Much Just Out Of Sight

Leonard Cohen will be interesting as what looks like a main attraction. I am interested to see this reaction. While I was a fan of The Smith and Morrissey... I suppose it is good he will return to Coachella since he was of the original performers.

Silversun pickups are fine but we already have My Bloody Valentine, the real band, on the bill.

Ghostland Observatory are decent and A Place To Bury Strangers is a surprise. White Lies are doing very well and I am not surprised to see them on the bill.
I am very happy for both The Presets and Crystal Castles

Odd Picks: Why the crystal method?


Day Two
I am not a fan of The Killers and why Amy winehouse?
Very surprised to see Thievery Corporation on the big stage ... .I had them come to a Fluid back in PA and they were both very kind but their DJ skills reminded me of a pair of sneakers in a dryer or a broken train about to derail. They do, however write some decent tunes :)

I am also happy to see TV on The Radio and Mstrkrft on the bill. Surkin and Para One will be good as well Calexico... and hurray for The Bloody Beetroots... I am only into a few of their mixes, but good for them. I am glad to have seen Amanda Palmer continue with her music successfully in such an underground way. I remember being on the phone with David J. years ago and he was staying with Amanda in Boston and telling me about her band, The Dresdon Dolls, and that I would like them.


Mastodon will wreck some people... and the Travis Barker team up with DJ AM is odd... Adam (AM) was in my class and I still have crazy VHS taped videos of us when we were young.. I have a video of him dressed up as a Ninja and I overdubbed this with audio from the scene in National Lampoon's Vacation where Chevy Chase is working his best magic to pickup Christie Brinkley.

Odd picks: Booker T, Michael Franti and Henry Rollins.... let's also not forget Bob Mould!

OK so
Day Three

Cmon..... The Cure? Again? I was such a huge fan of this band.. they are tired and DONE. If they give a good show, I will be pleasantly surprised.... the last several times I have seen them... all by chance... they have been subpar at best. I recently had the odd experience where I was in a room with no more than two handfuls of people and watched a private taping of The Cure and I turned to my friend, who is their publisher and said "Can we leave now?"..... They played Coachella just a few years ago... let it rest!!!


I am certainly happy to see My Bloody Valentine again. Only several months ago, did I see the show in Santa Monica... the sound was horrendous, but it was a good experience... maybe the younger crowd will be educated to this a bit... I am wondering.. where will everyone go for an escape from the loud last song they play? When you entered the concert, you got free ear plugs and during the last song, I left the building, walked around the outside, and it was still ridiculous! Paul Weller is an odd choice, but it is another good flashback selection.

I will be happy to see Public Enemy, Roni Size (who has been doing what?), Perry Farrell, Sebastian Tellier (hurray!!!), The Horrors, Late Of The Pier, and of course, Friendly Fires.

Lykke Li will be a tough act to see from up close.... the buzz is nuts on her... it took a long time. Another tough act to see from up close will most likely bee Brian Jonestown Massacre... then again it has been some time.

Odd PicksWhy on earth is Throbbing Gristle on the bill? I am all for seeing this... but what an odd choice.... Also... X had some decent tunes.. but after seeing them a few times and the last time at Sunset Junction... I was nearly thinking I would rather see The Cure again ;)

Shepard Fairey also falls under the why? category. He is the artist known for the ANDRE THE GIANT art all over the USA during the late 90s and turn of this century. He has become a DJ.

I am sure the official line up will change a bit... I would check this for errors... however I have to run to Universal Studios to update a sticker on my ID... it is like FORT KNOXXXXXX up in there... mhhm.


Also.... if you are in Los Angeles... you may want to consider hitting The Edwardian Ball this evening... Check the link and check yourself!


Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Clicky Web Analytics