Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Thought Of New Year's Eves & L. Ron DMC Winterwonderland

Good Morning!

I have awoken with a rather stiff neck. Hopefully I can return to sleep for a bit before I must work later.

This marks the first year I have ever not thrown a party or have been part of one with the exception of two years where I attended and helped with a friend's party.



From the time I was a baby, my family always threw large New Year's Eve celebrations. When I was 6-7, I began having friends of the family, the kids of these people, hanging with me, which in following years, became me inviting a few of my friends and this turned into my early teen years, having basically my entire class over and having the basement level of our house, my own party, which then became an even larger and more wide spread event as later teen years and early twenties passed.



As the mid-twenties quickly became late twenties, I was not only a revered veteran of the New Year's celebration but was hosting larger and larger Nyrs Eve events such as the annual Log Cabin Nyrs party, located at a VFW Hall in Belmont Hills, PA (the near outskirts of Philadelphia). These parties started about 7pm and would commonly end far past 7am with the survivors migrating like a virus of delightful zombies to a haven called The Llanerch Diner aka "The Big L".



There was one year in there where I did not throw my own party but was hired to have my own room on the top of The Trocadero Theatre, where I was the sole DJ all evening as well as Master Of Ceremonies. This was part of a Patrick Rogers/ Dancing Ferret / Dracula's Ball festivity bringing in the transition from 1998 to the final century marker, 1999. Lady Bathory, from Boston, was the DJ for the downstairs with Sunshine Blind and Godhead performing live on stage. This was a full ten years before I wound up remixing a track which is on the Warner Bros / Ryko release of Godhead's latest album. While this was an entirely fun and overly intoxicating evening to have been entertaining a few thousand people and not having to promote a party, and just show up and be paid to share music I enjoyed and be "funny" over the microphone, energizing people, I missed a relatively smaller event. (The photo here was taken at "The Big L" after this event and I had drifted into dreamland at the diner.)


There was also New Year's 2000-2001, when very very few people knew I came back to Philadelphia for the Holidays and I arrived just before midnight to my friend, Tim/ Flipper's party, being carried by 8 people on a raft, high in the air. (No, the raft was high in the air, I was not high unless you mean high on life).



Last year marked the very first year NOT in Philadelphia for New Year's. I put together an event in collaboration with Ground Control at The Catch One, the home of Das Bunker. I even imported my friend/rollerderby/DJ, Trishylicious from Philadelphia to spread some of the Philadelphia love to Los Angeles! We also had Philadelphia native, Jim Groves aka DJ Rekast and Kevin Venable aka DJ Morserotonin entertaining. While it was indeed a good time, followed by a Pasadena Parade on the first and an evening of spontaneous hilarity and dance at some "interesting" Scientology Christmas display that was loudly broadcasting old disco and funk, I knew 2008-2009 would have something else in store for me.



This year, I am actually working at Universal until 9pm and then I am most likely headed to my friends' house aka The Brokenhaus of Heather and Andrew. This is toward Pasadena. I am not performing nor am I DJing... just hanging. Well, the plan is to go there. Part of me feels as if I should stay home with the cat, Li and the dog, Miss Pooch-A-Rilla.

I do plan on visiting the outside Scientology Center's Xmas display to get some free dancing happening, laughing and shoot more video again tomorrow evening. While I am strongly against any cult.... there is much hilarity to be had at ANY place where you can just roll up with a bunch of friends and bust a funk n disco party of your own with good friends! Should you want to join me, please email me fda at new grounds dot com.

As a bonus, here are some videos from the Trishylicious cam on her youtube collection of us invading the L. Ron Hubbard Winter Wonderland!!! :):):)

I hope to make an additional post before 2009, however today is a full day. Happy New Year!!!




Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Clicky Web Analytics