Friday, January 11, 2008

some details and other related ramblings

It is currently 4am in Hollywood as I type this. I type best without looking at the screen or my fingers.... I only just recently learned that I type best with my eyes closed, feeling for the keys and can do this rather quickly.

I only just started this blog, however, since the early 90s, have been keeping a written journal, counting of the minutes from various newsgroups to mailing lists and various websites. I helped launch the success of Newgrounds and the postings about my adventures for years along with being early on the livejournal tip to then launching my own site which was a pre-friendster, etc. social site. Thankfully, the ways of xml / feeds / syndication circles have opened and allow, with the click of one button, to send the same text i once would have to copy and paste over and over, to be sent simultaneously to more sites than are fingers on my hands and toes on my feet where many people may read about either a new link I would like to share or the specifics of an adventure, the mishappenings of a party, the photos from last night which no one who was there wants to remember but those who were can laugh, the recollections of moments of the past, the thoughts stirred by a film, emotions extrapolated from favourite music of the moment, the pics and menus of food eaten and often video of inner thoughts, friends, family, oddities in nature and perhaps a shot of my dog.

This place is a glimpse of who I am... maybe you can assist me to discover who as well ;)

I am currently 35 years of age which either sounds young to me or far too old since I am still full of zeal and think along the lines I did in my late teens. I started my life as a writer, actor but along the way wound up in a music career which is quite challenging and often not rewarding apart from the rewards it brings to you when you feel the accomplishment of completing a song, performing for people or when someone tells you how much they appreciate either your words, your musical structure or the production.

I began with a Steinway Grand in the English Tutor home in which I was raised. I was never too amazing, however i did write songs from my hours of playing. I learned a small amount of guitar but it was with the drums that I began my journey. This was in 4th Grade and we had to either choose an instrument or join choir. My voice was horrid and I really was interested in the drums. My teacher was Elaine Watts, a Jewish/ Italian woman, who at the time was probably in her mid to late 50s. She played jazz a few nights a week as well as teaching at the school. She remains as one of my top heroes of all time. It was only last year that I finally heard about her after nearly 20 years. But that story is for another time or you can refer to one of my other journaling/blog sites if you care.

See? The rambling begins....

I will cut to the chase....
My father bought me a drum set (Pearl Export, smokey chrome), which I still have and has been on major tours with me, and this finally was relocated to my mother's when she had a studio built for me in my basement. It was in this basement that I discovered the art of recording!!!
I was 15 when it began to come together and experimenting from 16 up with what could occur in the studio. I eventually got into drum machine programming etc, ... ok long winded once more.

I wound up befriending Moby who heard some random song of mine at his place one time when I was playing it for him on "Cassette", I then realized some silly spoof song of mine had marketing potential and quite shortly put, this song was signed to a subsidiary of Sony and it earned the money needed for me to launch my own label in the early 90s with distributors in USA, Canada, and all over European Countries. Even thought I was more into Alternative music and the sorta darker post punk and industrial funk, my music got quite big with the RAVE scenes and I wound up performing all over the place and even wound up back on the stage with Moby and other friends from that time period who were making it. I could not appreciate the fact that my music was being played in clubs and college radio since it was my first time out and everything I was releasing was selling or being played with great response.

Somehow this slowed down due to becoming more "perfectionistic" and going through some hard times in terms of health. I have not really released anything now in years, however I produce bands, do remixes (currently working on Isaac Hayes/ Burt Bacharach, Traci Lords, West Indian Girl, Juno Reactor, etc.) as well as having toured, written and recorded or along these lines with artists whose music influenced my involvement in music such as Daniel Ash and David J. of Bauhaus/ Love And Rockets, Al Jourgenson of Ministry, Marston, Frank and Charles Levi of Thrill Kill Kult, etc.

Part of my time currently is working for other people to make their artistic vision a reality or even providing the soundtrack for someone's film while the other time, I am at Universal Studios in corporate world. This does provide decent health benefits and the ability to only take on musical projects I enjoy.

Speaking of enjoy..... I love gathering friends for meals and sharing good discussion, going to the movies, go on odd adventures, experiencing anything NEW..... almost anything. I love to learn.

Yawn.... I rarely sleep and recall being 6 years old wondering if that would change by the time I was 10 or 16..... apparently not ;)

I am currently listening to SPLINTER (the instrumentals) by Sneaker Pimps. You may or may not remember the candypop song SIX UNDERGROUND with the female singer, Kelli Dayton, but this was the second album in 1999 with Chris Corner stepping in from half of the songwriting team to take the vocal driving wheel. This album combined elements of acoustic and electric guitars, simple yet big bass guitar rhythms and acoustic drum grooves atop subtle Beatles-esque ambiences and string paddings of cello and more. Think Pink Floyd meets current Radiohead with SGT. Pepper joining for supper.

Now is the time I part as I need to be up early as I have to be in Beverly Hills for a meeting and then over to the former offices of Windswept/ Neophonic and then to visit my mother, who is currently in the hospital. Then I have about 6 hours of studio time with Red Light District.

Sleep well or Good morning or afternoon and even evening no matter whee you are.

Ciao bellos!

---Shok

Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Clicky Web Analytics